Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Historic Sunday night

It all started as I was innocently watching an episode of Castle when Boyfriend called me on the phone to tell me that Osama Bin Laden is dead.
I brought up CNN right away, just able to hold back an "I don't believe you" as I read the headline. I refreshed Facebook and fifteen status updates told me the exact same thing. Bin Laden is dead. A Facebook friend had a link to live feed that would be showing Obama speech, so I brought it up, still in disbelief. The President confirmed what what already abuzz: Bin Laden dead; we found him in Abbattabad, Pakistan in his compound and killed him, we've got his body. I don't even want to comment on rhetoric. I want no negativity in this moment, this symbolic moment for America. It comes at a time when we very much need it. For legitimacy, for hope... Watching the live feed of the crowd at the White House is incredible. Chanting "U-S-A" and "Yes we did!" and singing "Na na na, hey, hey, hey, Goo-oodbye!" and cheering and clapping... it's such a display of unbridled joy and national pride I can't help but be caught up in it! Flags flicking back and forth madly, arms flailing about, camera flashes like fireworks... Not one minute after Obama concluded his speech I heard a firecracker and WOOO just nearby my apartment. I've heard a vuvuzela and a few cheers here too, even though it's after midnight on Sunday when everyone is passed out recovering from their weekend of partying.
Even though I know tomorrow will bring back the pessimism that Americans are so good at, I'm glad we have this time tonight to just be joyful that we finally did something right. I don't want analysis right now, repercussions, fears, cynicism... Just happiness. I was in 8th grade, just 14 when all of this started, I've spent almost half my life with this man's name associated with evil, death and fear. I wonder if the troops overseas are seeing this, what they're doing and feeling right now. And there is, of course, my Mom sleeping through it all in the other room, visiting for the night. I woke her up to tell her after Boyfriend called, and she was amazed for the two seconds she was awake. I wonder if she'll remember come morning and want to use my computer to find out all about it.
Oh and a new chant of "Fuck O-sa-ma!" started up for a minute, followed by more U-S-A. Heh. I'm all for peace and love, but sometimes a symbolic death is exactly what you need. Call me callous if you will, but it's nice to see people united AND happy for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment