Thursday, October 13, 2011

Currently Reading... Just finished...


Just Finished:Lord Foul’s Bane, Stephen R. Donalson.
Okay I finally finished this damn book! Result? Still unsure! Probably one of the only books I am unable to solidly say if I liked or disliked it. It has all the elements of a decent fantasy, a decent plotline, but it just… I’ve never hated a main character quite so much. He’s just an asshole. I would recommend it to someone else, if only to see what someone else thinks; but I would be honest about it, I wouldn’t just say “Hey read this awesome book!” I’m undecided again as to whether I want the sequel(s) or not. Maybe once I get my library card? We’ll see. 
Alcoholica Esoterica, Ian Lendler.
“A collection of useful and useless information as it relates to the history and consumption of all manner of booze.” Pretty accurate statement. It gives you another view of events of history as they relate to alcohol, which I had a lot of fun with. It’s probably not the most available book, since my boyfriend bought it in an airport about 6 or 7 years ago. A fun book if you can get your hands on it though!
Hart’s Hope, Orson Scott Card.
I might have a problem called “unable to resist Mr. Card’s writing.” It’s a stand-alone, which seems to be somewhat unusual for him. An older one, it was copyrighted 1983, which is before I was even born, so there’s that. How can I describe this book? Hard without giving something away. Hm, well, it doesn’t have a solid point of view, it shifts from chapter to chapter, and it’s unclear at the beginning who is intended to be the main character. It has a very specific style, makes me think of an old high literature, with very little of anyone’s inner monologue until you get to the main character. If you’ve read Orson Scott Card before you’ll be able to get into the book pretty easily. I read it in two or three days, it’s only 261 pages - but worth a read, very interesting. 
Currently Reading:
The Memory of Earth, Orson Scott Card.
…remember how I mentioned that problem I have? Yeah, it’s here again. So, Homecoming Volume I. I’m trying to finish it now, started reading it over the summer and put it down I don’t remember why. Card always has the most interesting concepts for worlds as a backdrop for his stories. Here on Harmony, there is no war; it is prevented by the Oversoul, which is actually a satellite put up by humans to regulate themselves so they wouldn’t destroy the planet. Interesting concept, no? Questions of religion and faith, free will, mental blocks and intelligence… I’ll definitely be getting the sequel when I get my library card up here. 
Wishlist:Something new I’m adding to the end here! Sequels I want to read and new books I’ve been recommended. (aka things I’ll get when I’ve got my library card.) 
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, Stieg Larsson. 
Let the Right One In, John Ajvide Lindquist. 
Shadowrise, Tad Williams.
Kushiel’s Chosen, Jacqueline Carey.  
Recommendations, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment