Thursday, October 13, 2011

Just finished... Currently Reading...


Can anyone tell that I have too much free time on my hands lately? 
Just Finished:Dragon Tears, Dean Koontz.
Now, Koontz is a NY Times best-seller kind of writer, which I honestly don’t pay an ounce of attention to. It was published in 1993, so it’s obviously been a while since it was on any sort of list. But honestly, it was probably just the right book for the time. If I could sum up this book I would say “fantasy elements used by the author to make a statement about the bizarre nature of the 90s.” Order vs. chaos, making sense of nonsensical violence; the themes of this book. A good quotation from the book (no spoilers, if you care) is thus: “That’s what’s wrong with the world these days. Jesus, the exactly what’s wrong! nobody want to be responsible for anything. Everybody wants a license to be and do any damn thing, nobody wants to pay the bill.” Remember when that woman sued McDonald’s because the coffee was too hot? It’s that sort of nonsense that Koontz is commenting on. Well. Perhaps the more violent kind of nonsense, like the mother dropping her baby down a garbage chute so she could go to her birthday party. This book is nothing if not brutal. 
Currently Reading:Heroic Fantasy, various; eds. Page & Reinhardt.
Oh man this book has the cheesiest of cheesy covers.

Am I right? And look how cheap it was when it was released in 1979! Wait, no, my version was even cheaper - $1.95! I got it over the summer in a 3for$1 deal, even cheaper! And so, short stories, probably terrible, fun silly read - or so I expected. Thus far one story has stood out to me: Sand sister, by Andre Norton (Alice Mary Norton.) It’s the first in the book, and rightly so. It pulled me right in. In fact, I’m going to look up Norton’s other work and read that! 
Moral of this review? You should really truly never ever judge a book by it’s cover.
Kushiel’s Chosen, Jaqueline Carey.
It took me a little while to get back into this book, and I put the blame on two things: that I’ve read it before and the recap factor. I’ve read Kushiel’s Dart. I hate recaps. But once I skimmed my way to the actual meat of this story I was all over it like butter on toast. I do enjoy her books. Yes, they look like romance novels, and yes, they have sexy parts, but the intrigue and politics are good. I’m one of those people who has trouble keeping track of an extensive cast of characters (i.e. Martin’s style) so having a little list at the back or front helps me out a great deal. And maps. I’m a sucker for maps. It’s a Big Fat Book too, which means I actually get to read the same book for more than three days. But anyhow: I recommend it. Politics, sexytimes, well developed world setting, fabulous description without being overbearing (i.e. Tolkien.) 
As always, I ask: any recommendations for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment