Thursday, October 13, 2011

Just Finished... Currently Reading...


Just Finished:
The Harp of Imach Thyssel by Patricia C. Wrede
I bought it because it was 3 for $1.00 deal with two others (as yet unread.) It looks like a cheap cliche sort of fantasy and I thought what the hell, shits n giggles right? Well… it’s actually not that bad. Once you get past the invented-names-with-too-many-vowels that I expected from this book, you see there is a decent plot. It is indeed cliche, but somehow I still liked it. It had the potential to be much deeper… and it might just be that I read too fast, or that the book is only 234 pages when I’m been reading 700+ pagers for a while now, but the story is rushed a bit. Certain things could have been better, but for a book that cost $2.95 in 1985, it’s good. I also doubt anyone has heard of it much for that reason too. 
Currently reading:Lord Foul’s Bane, by Stephen R. Donaldson
Yeah okay I’m giving this book another chance. I almost gave up on it again after a part that very much offended the feminist part of me, but I had to know what happened. The fact that I’m nearly halfway through this book and the main character still refuses to believe that The Land is real and he’s not dreaming is… amazing? Annoying? I’m not sure. The world fascinates me but I currently hate the main character Thomas. He’s just a complete and utter asshole. I’m keeping with this book a little longer but I doubt I’ll be trying to find the next book in the series. 
God Emperor of Dune, Frank Herbert
I actually started reading this before I moved two weeks ago, but it’s pretty heavy reading so I’ve been on a pause. That and it’s quite jarring to have such a time jump and find Leto II so different. I trust in Mr. Herbert though so I’ll pick it up again eventually. 
Next Up:The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest by Stieg Larsson
Third in the series, I don’t have the time or money to devote to finding it right now. But I must know how it ends! Argh, cliffhangers kill me!
Let the Right One in by John Ajvide Lindquist
I’m sure many have heard of one or both of the movies (American or Swedish) but how many have read the book? I haven’t, but I’ve seen the Swedish movie, and I’m intrigued. I want to go deeper; the movie was short on dialogue and completely lacking internal monologue. I wants it. 
Brightest Day by DC
Okay I know DC just rebooted and everything but I was super interested in what they were doing with that… I have a good number of the single issues but you can really only find variants right now, or just get the graphic novel - but again I don’t have the cash to do that. When I do though, graphic novel is probably the way I’ll go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment